malia Washington

Drug Abuse

Learn from me a 14 year old girl from Seattle, about drug abuse in the united states.

Dear Mr. or Ms. President,

According to the center for disease control, In the U.S. almost half a million people died from drug overdoses from 2010 to 2014 (cdc) . Abusing drugs comes with many costs like bad side effects and diseases. Most substance users do not know when they are overdosing or abusing and can put people into many situations like homelessness, and loss of intelligence. Drug abuse is great problem in the U.S. and affects lives of many young adults

Drug abuse comes with a lot of side effects and long term effects depending on how often you are using or busing the substances. A quote from the National institute of Drug Abuse it says, “Most drugs of abuse can alter a person’s thinking and judgment, leading to health risks, including addiction, drugged driving and infectious disease”(NIDA) All drugs have effects on people in different types of ways. according to mostly abused drug charts written by the NIDA , things that seem to have no long term effects like marijuana, do actually have effects that can cause mental health problems, chronic coughing, and frequent respiratory infections (NIDA).Though drug abuse is a bad problem many people believe that addiction or abuse is helpful. According to AlcoholRehab.com the site says that people abuse drugs when they are board, or mainly abuse drugs to try and get rid of relationship problems(AlcoholRehab.com).Drug abuse can lead you to ruining your own health and the after math of abusing drugs while being board and getting rid of relationship problems will not be pretty .According to the NIDA drugs like Kratom can lead you to anorexia (NIDA). Many people do not take drug abuse as a serious problem and think about how serious drug abuse is.

Drugs are made for certain reasons most of the time Young adults are influenced into using drugs at the time of no needed use. A quote from the Indian Journal of Medical Research says, “The abuse of alcohol and illicit and prescription drugs continues to be a major health problem internationally.”- Chakravarthy, Bharath. For young adults drug abuse can be influenced anywhere.According to the Indian Journal of Medical Research drug abuse for young adults can be influenced by the quality of parenting, peer pressure, and biological/inherent predisposition towards drug addiction(Chakravarthy) . For adolescence ,drug abuse should be able to be spotted by either parents or other people. Even if drug abuse is a problem some people believe that there are good excuses to being able to abuse many substances. According to alcoholrehab.com people support and believe that drugs can relieve mental issues, and stress (alchoholrehab.com).though drugs can relieve mental and stress issues drugs ruin your brain there are other ways of helping out with these sort of problems.For adolescence ,drug abuse should be visibly spotted by either parents or other people.Also, in Chakravarthy’s article he explains science that is shown to cause drug abuse in lives of young adults. most of the time young adults are influenced when there is a lot of family conflict, parents with drug abuse or alcohol problems themselves, academic failure,etc (Chakravarthy). Drug abuse should be stopped especially when it is happening during the young stage of adolescence because our brains are still developing and adapting. Drug abuse can damage the brain at young and old

Age.

Young adults in the U.S. are mostly peer pressured into using drugs then can sometimes even start abusing drugs. The national institution of drug abuse quotes, “By the time they are seniors, almost 70 percent of high school students will have tried alcohol, half will have taken an illegal drug, nearly 40 percent will have smoked a cigarette, and more than 20 percent will have used a prescription drug for a non-medical purpose”-(NIDA). By the time high schooler's have reached their senior year about half of students in America have participated in the use of drugs.according to the national institute of drug abuse they say that kids participate in using drugs because it is either pressured into using, having the thought of it being cool, or believe that the use of drugs is harmless(NIDA). Though drug abuse is still a bad thing, according to addiction central they say that There really aren't any pros of addiction. If, one can call feeling spectacular during the first couple of uses, and then chasing that “amazing” high for the rest of their lives a pro, then my mistake, there you have it (AlcoholRehab.com). Abusing drugs causes risky behavior for young adults mostly because drugs numb the brain and do many things to your body. According to the article called Principles of Adolescent Substance Use Disorder Treatment: A Research-Based Guide, drug use can be apart of a risky pattern of behavior like, driving while intoxicated, or other hazardous, unsupervised activities(NIDA).

I am convinced that drug abuse is still and might always be a great problem in the U.S.. A fact from the NIDA says that In the U.S. about 24.6 % of teens have used drugs in the past month. Most young adults in this percentage probably did not know what would happen after using or abusing drugs.Drug abuse is not a topic that is well talked about and is a major problem in many lives of young adults. No matter what unless you are prescribed a medication or drug you should not be allowed or feel as if you should be abusing the drug.To try and stop drug abuse maybe you or people around the U.S. could spread awareness by, spreading words of effects that come with drugs and or teach kids more about drug abuse at a young age. Future Mr. or Mrs. president please make drug abuse one of your top priorities in the united states.

Sincerely,Malia