Natalie I. Connecticut

College Tuition

College tuition today is extremely high. Lowering the cost will give students a chance to go to a college they feel is right for them without worrying much about costs and loans. With no stress about these things, we can create an environment where students can focus on learning. We should give all students a chance to succeed.

First, congratulations to you for making the presidency of the United States.  As you are the next president, I want to share an issue I am concerned about and hopefully you take this into consideration.

I am a fourteen year old  student in my freshman year at high school. As I am going to be in college or university in just few years, I am concerned about college tuition. Today, people have to pay a lot of money to go to college. According to College Board, the average cost of tuition and fees for the 2015–2016 school year was $32,405 at private colleges, $9,410 for state residents at public colleges, and$23,893 for out-of-state residents attending public universities. The average tuition for ivy league schools is $52,000. It might sound inexpensive, but compared to the average annual income of the household, the cost is very high. The average income is $53,657. According to Time, college tuition cost is increasing every year. That is a problem because some household can not spare most of the income on colleges.  Students should be able to go college without worrying about tuition. 

For student whose parents are not willing to pay for them, they need to pay for student loan and pay back when they start working and earning money. Why should students who are supposed to be studying worry about paying back the debt? Some people take years to pay off their debt. If I had to borrow money as a student loan, I would be worried about paying it back. Why does college have to be so expensive when you are just trying to get educated and get a better life? Can the college tuition be lowered? By lowering the tuition, more families can afford to send their child to school. That means more people will get jobs and eventually help our economy.  According to Prepscholar, "for schools that have the highest levels of competition, full rides are extremely rare." That means, in most cases, if you want to go to one of the elite colleges, you need to pay yourself.  Scholarships, not the full ride ones, can range from few hundred dollars to few thousand dollars. So not everyone get scholarships that actually help them cover the tuition. 

It is important for everyone to have a fair shot at attending college because it is not fair if certain people have an advantage over others.  Let's say a student is capable of handling difficult materials taught at school. But, that person can not afford for high level academic college, or takes up much of the income. Then that person has to choose other college that cost less. Those colleges likely has lower academic level or less opportunities to choose from. By giving a chance for everyone, every student has a chance to challenge themselves and go to a school that match their academic level. 

In conclusion, the college tuition should be lowered so everyone can afford to go to any college that is right for them. Students who want to improve and expand their knowledge should have  a chance to go to colleges. Thank you for spending your time reading this. I hope you consider this issue as the one that needs to be improved. 

Sincerely yours,

Natalie I.

Greenwich High School

English 113

English 113