Samantha P. California

Illegal Immigrants

Illegal immigration needs to be stopped and regulated in the United States to decrease both overpopulation and crime rates.

Over the past couple of months I have begun to realize the importance of the issue of illegal immigration. As I have grown up in this country understanding the pride of being an American, I have also grown up understanding the increase in crime rate and overpopulation in this country. Even though the United States is known to be the “melting pot” of the world, we need to be aware of the reason behind the increase in felonies, which is greatly caused by illegal immigration. Due to the increase in overpopulation and crime in America, illegal immigration should be stopped immediately.

While illegal immigrants have traveled to the United States to look for the American dream, we have begun to see an excessive increase in population which the U.S. is unable to support. Not only are the schools becoming too full, but also, the roads are overcrowded, our health system is crippled, taxes are too high, and job opportunities are progressively decreasing. According to F.A.I.R, the article “Illegal Aliens Taking U.S. Jobs” claims that 8.5 million jobs are occupied by illegal alien workers. The United States should not be the dumping ground for other countries to send their issues to. However, the U.S. does welcome people from other countries because we are known for our diversity and opportunities for the “American dream”. As long as they are legally coming into the U.S. , there would not be as large of an issue with overpopulation and less job opportunities.

Another reason I believe illegal immigration needs to be stopped is because of the increase in crime over the past couple of years. While many people in society claim that illegal immigrants are not doing any more damage than the rest of the people already in our country, that is completely false. In fact, a large portion of our jails are filled by illegal immigrants. According to Caroline May, the article "Illegal Immigrants Accounted for Nearly 37 Percent of Federal Sentences in FY 2014" claims that illegal immigrants accounted for 27,505 (or 36.7 percent) of the population that has committed federal sentences. Illegal immigrants represented 16.8 percent of drug trafficking cases, 20.0 percent of kidnapping/hostage taking, 74.1 percent of drug possession, 12.3 percent of money laundering, and 12.0 percent of murder convictions. Even though people claim illegal immigrants are usually women and children, there is a large percentage of immigrants who are criminals and upping the crime and drug use rates tremendously. As a young adult who has a long life ahead of her, I wish to not live my life in fear of crime and kidnappings just because our country freely accepts illegal immigrants. A part of being a U.S. citizen is always feeling protected and secured by our country.

Our country needs to stop illegal immigration, and as the future president of the United States, it is up to you in the way you handle this issue. Even though I am not a professional politician and am much uneducated on the topic compared to you, I do ask that you consider my view and opinion about this issue. Either force illegal immigrants out of the country, or set up tighter borders, but the U.S. cannot afford to be left to deal with these unnecessary and life-threatening issues. I hope you will look at this issue as a moral and innocent civilian just like me. For our country owes its people the feelings of security and the ability to gain more job opportunities.

Samantha Parker

Sources:

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/07/07/illegal-immigrants-accounted-for-nearly-37-percent-of-federal-sentences-in-fy-2014/

http://www.fairus.org/issue/illegal-aliens-taking-u-s-jobs

Newbury Park High School

English 11IB period 2B

High school English IB course