Ben E. Georgia

Drones: Should we use them?

With increasing terrorists attacks, the question arises, should we use drones to fight with us?

As someone who has never seen real combat, outside of AirSoft, I don’t know the sounds and smells of war. But I do know the sounds of a 21-gun salute being fired off, in memory of someone who lost their life in battle. We need to find a way to make sure that soldiers do come back, and that they can see their families again.  The solution to that problem is drones.

Drones first saw use by the U.S. Government in 2002, and from there it has been a highly controversial issue. Some find that drones, are breaking the rules of war and can fire indiscriminately and civilians. But the other side to that argument is that, the drone was improperly used, and not enough intelligence was gathered to use the drone. Both of these sides have a foothold in the debate, but in my opinion, drones should be used.

When drones were added to the U.S. arsenal, deaths dropped from the previous year. Meaning that more soldiers could return home, instead of having a folded flag handed to their mother. Allowing drones to enter hostile zones can allow for a tactical advantage for the forces on the ground. As the drone can call in an airstrike and soften up the enemy's line. Meaning more successful missions, and less casualties.

The other ideal mechanism that the drone does, is gather intelligence. Drones that are called UAVs or unmanned aerial vehicles, can find H.V.T.’s or high value targets, and neutralize the individual, without putting U.S forces in harm's way. Meaning that future attacks could be stopped, before they even happen. Thus meaning that there would be less civilian casualties, in the battle zones.

Dear future President, please make a call to action, by allowing drones to be used more frequently by the U.S. Military. To help reduce the deaths of our soldiers, and bring more soldiers back unscathed. Help the civilians or these countries, feel safe in their own backyards. This is your call, you will be running the country for the next four years, you can make it count. 

Ben

Creekland Middle School

Ms. Boyle's Class

Ms. Boyle's Class