Lydia H. Alabama

Issues with Abortion

There is no justification for abortion. No matter what, a mother should protect her child; born or unborn.

Dear Future President

Many people reference the bible when talking about the topic of abortion. Exodus 20:13 says “You shall not murder,” Exodus 21:22 says, “And if men struggle with each other and strike a woman with a child so that she has a miscarriage, yet there is no further injury, he shall surely be fined as the woman’s husband may demand of him; and he shall pay as the judges decide,” The bible says for people to protect the weak and down-trodden. (Slick, Matt; 2016)

I, myself, believe that a mother should not abort her child unless absolutely necessary. When couples accidently get pregnant and want to abort the child, they need to own up to their actions and take care of the baby they created. I don’t believe that even rape and incest victims should have abortions; each baby is a gift from God and if God doesn’t want her to have that baby then she won’t. I believe that no matter what, a mother should always protect her child born or unborn. A family friend’s baby was tested for disabilities while she was pregnant. The doctor told her that the baby would have many birth defects and that they should abort the child, but she didn’t want to have an abortion. She put her trust in God and continued the pregnancy; but later she had a miscarriage; God didn’t want her to have the baby.

According to EMedicineHealth’s Suzanne R. Trupin: There are about 1.2 million abortions performed each year in the United States. In 2003, about 16 out of 1,000 women aged 15-44 years, had an abortion, and for every 1,000 live births, about 241 abortions were performed, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. World wide, some 20-30 million legal abortions are performed each year, with another 10-20 million abortions performed illegally. Illegal abortions are unsafe and account for 13% of all deaths of women because of serious complications. Most women seeking abortion are white 53%; 36% are black, 8% are of another race, and 3% are of unknown race. Abortion rates are highest among 20 to 24-year-old women. Rates are lowest among women younger than 20 or older than 40 years, but these women are far more likely to have an abortion if they become pregnant.

So Future President, I am asking you to consider your morals when it comes to abortion. We all know that murder is wrong, so why would the murder of an unborn child be any different? Every baby is a gift from God and deserves a chance at life, and I’m asking you, Future President, to help every child get his or her chance at life.

A Concerned Citizen

Oxford High School

5th Period

AP English Language and Composition