Ethan W. Alabama

What could have been the future

Dear Future President, Children are our future teachers, inventors, business leaders, and parents of our country, whether we realize it or not. Taking away the lives of these children through abortion could limit future creativity and possibly the next big doctor, sports player, or movie star. In 2011, nearly 1.06 million abortions were performed, which is down 13% percent from the 1.21 million abortions performed in 2008 [guttmacher.org]. In a span of 3 years, we lost so many children who could have had a future career in something that could have helped make this world a better place. We need to stop abortions because of the harm it has on our country down the road. Attorney and author John Whitehead is quoted as saying, “Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see.” We cannot send that message if we look at an unplanned child as a failure, a mistake. We mold the world’s next generation with the way we influence and make them think. In the 38-year period from 1973 to 2011, almost 1.3 millions abortions were performed annually. Will making children think that abortion is acceptable be the way we want to leave the future? It is not the ideal way of leading the next generation into a “new” way of thinking. They will take after us and have the same ideals and endanger their future as well. Even though I am only 16 and have no idea about having a child, I am sure that I love babies and helping little kids because I love the sparkle in their eyes when they laugh and play. When we take that away because of the irresponsible choices young adults and adults make, we lose a child who could have been in kindergarten, elementary school, middle school, then high school and experience a life full of memories. The U.S. doesn’t need to settle for just being able to just push our mistakes to the side . We need to take responsibility for our actions, no matter the consequences. So, Future President, hear the voice of what could have been our future and stop funding abortion. Sincerely, Ethan W

Abortion over the past 10 years has taken over 1million lives of babies that were never given a chance to live, learn, and grow

Oxford High School

5th Period

AP English Language and Composition