David Alabama

We all need education

All of the states in the U.S., expect for 12, make illegal immigrants pay out-of-state tuition in their own resented state. Illegal or not, they should be offered in-state tuition as everyone else.

Many illegal immigrants want to attend college after they graduate high school to better their future. To attend a college, there are high tuitions that need to be paid. Immigrants who want to attend a college in their resented state have to pay an out-of-state tuition fee. Many find this unreasonable. As of now, there are only 12 states that offer in-state tuition. All states should offer in-state tuition to illegal immigrants.

About 2.6 million of illegal immigrants want to join a college. This is only a dream for many. According to CNN, in the State of Texas, a young woman graduated high school as a valedictorian. As she gave her graduation speech, she revealed that she is one of the 11 million undocumented immigrants. She later states in her speech “I decided to stand before you today and reveal these unexpected realities, because this might be my only chance to convey the truth to all of you that undocumented immigrants are people, too”. Immigrants deserve the same right to in-state tuition as everyone else. Just because students are illegal, doesn’t make them less than everyone else. We are all humans who deserve the same right of a good education of everyone else, regardless of where we are raised or where we are born.

Forty-four percent of immigrants are near poverty. 18.2 percent of immigrants do live in poverty (Center for Immigration studies). With this being said, much out-of-state tuition are twice as much of in-state tuition. For a family to send a beloved child to college on an in-state tuition rate is almost a difficult thing to do. They would have to work and save money day in and day out, just to send their beloved child to a college for a chance of a better future. To save for out-of-state tuition rate can be impossible for some families, no matter how long or how hard they work.

We hope that you will allow illegal immigrants to in-state tuition along with the other 12 states that already allow it. They may be illegal, but they are all humans and deserve the same right to a better future.

David G.

Oxford High School

4th Period

11th grade Honors English