Mercedes B. Kentucky

Issue to be addressed: Cyberbulling and the misuse of social media in the adolescent community.

One of the issues that I feel needs to be addressed is the use of social media to bully others in the adolescent community.

According to research, 95% of teens use the internet and 81% of them use social media sites to bully others. Over half of adolescents and teens have been bullied online, and about the same number have engaged in Cyberbulling.  Cyberbulling can be very damaging to adolescents and teens. It can lead to anxiety, depression, and even suicide. Once things are circulated on the internet, they may never disappear, resurfacing at later times. More than 1 in 3 young people have experienced bulling online. A few thing parents and teens can do to help reduce cyber bullying statistics is to explain that cyberbullying is wrong and can have serious consequences.  Encourage teens to tell an adult if cyberbulling is occurring, and encourage teens to have times when they turn off their technology. By doing these things, we can make a difference in someone's life.

Mercedes Burgin