Ellaina A. Pennsylvania

Police Brutality

Ellaina Andrew

My name is Ellaina Andrew and I live and was born in Philadelphia. I lived down North Philadelphia for about 5 years then I moved to Northeast Philadelphia for the rest of my life. The topic that I am covering right now is Police Brutality, it caught my attention because lately most death has been because of police brutality. The more that this happens the more that people lose their family members. 

In 2016 at least 136 black people were killed by Police brutality. According to Philando Castile he was the 123rd black person to be shot in 2016 based on a tally from The Washington Post. Only a small fraction of the 17,000 law enforcement agencies track misconduct reports. The Department of Justice generated a report on police misconduct in the United States in 2001, and the report was based on statistics that were voluntarily given by 5% of the police departments in the United States.

Let me tell you about what I watched on the news, two white cops shot a black male for selling CD tapes outside of a convenience store in Baton Rouge. The two white officers were arresting Alton B. Sterling after answering to a call about an armed man. The officers had Sterling pinned to the floor when at one of them shot him. Alton Sterling is at least one of the 136 black people killed by Police brutality. Alton Sterling didn't get no justice and the data says that most likely the officers who killed Alton Sterling won't be getting punished for what they have done. In 2015 97% of police violence cases  resulted in the officer facing no criminal charges.

Imagine if policemen had cameras on their tie or their collar it would be easier to monitor police brutality. If they were monitored more often then the policemen would be caught for what they have done. Then police brutality would be less effective to the community. 

To conclude my topic on police brutality, officers should be monitored more often for what they have  done and for what they are doing. To whoever the next president is they should put an end to police brutality.