Amber Georgia

Guns To Our Heads

Dear Mr. or Mrs. President,

April 20, 1999 was the most devastating day for students who attended Columbine High School. Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold opened fire on their fellow classmates and faculty. They ended up killing about 13 people and wounding about 24. It’s now the time for us to put an end to gun violence.

We’ve been having problems with gun violence for many years. In the past year there had been about 372 mass shootings according to Mass Shooting Tracker. In those 372 shootings 475 people ended up dead and 1,870 people ended up being injured. The United States of America has approximately 300 million guns. 60% of the murders in the United States of America were by firearms in 2012. According to Everytown for Gun safety research there has been 64 school shootings in the past year. There are more homicide deaths than deaths by terrorism. The problem is that you can easily get a gun at any time. In Maine, Vermont, Wyoming, Alaska, Kansas you do not need a permit to purchase, a permit to carry, licensing of owners, and registration of firearms.

Perfect solution we be to take away all the guns but according to the 2nd amendment people have the right to bare arms. What we should do is put laws on our guns and do background checks on people. This could help reduce the death rate by a lot. Teenagers wouldn’t be able to get a gun.

Some people may say we need guns to protect ourselves the only reason for us having a gun is because we’re scared of each other. I personally feel like we don’t need guns at all. Now and days we kill people for no reason. With your help you can help stop this violence that is tearing apart our country.

Amber Elder