Lashonda E.

Black Lives Matter

I argue that the disproportionate killings of people of color is an issue that needs to be addressed.

I couldn’t even imagine one of my family members getting shot for walking somewhere, could you? I wouldn’t think so because you would be very upset. Many families feel the same way you felt when you thought about one of your family members getting killed. Cops are killing, to be more specific, white cops are killing innocent people of color. Yes, I get that people of color tend to live in areas with higher crime rates, but not all color people are like that some people are really innocent. For example, Trayvon Martin 17 year old boy was killed by George Zimmerman. Trayvon Martin was a good and respectful boy.

The statistics are staggering. 75% of colored people have been killed, because the government is gun  policies and needs to train their police officer to de-escalate violent situations. A lot of people have been killed because of this matter. As a colored young adult, I feel that I or one of my friends or family might be the next one to be shot. The first time I heard about this issue I didn’t really understand, but now that I am older, I understand what people mean when they say #BLACKLIVESMATTER.

Do black lives matter matter to you? They matter to us. According to the Black Lives Matter website black lives matter means, “An international activist movement originating in the African-American community that campaigns against violence and systemic racism toward black people.”  According to Black Lives Matter, “#BLACKLIVESMATTER was first created in 2012 after Trayvon Martin’s murder. George Zimmerman was acquitted for his crime, and dead 17 year old Trayvon Martin was posthumously placed on trial for his own murder.” Black Lives Matter is a unique contribution that goes beyond extra judicial killing of colored people by police and vigilantes. Black lives matter is working toward black lives no longer being systematically and intentionally targeted for destruction.

Best Regards,

Lashonda E

Please view our video here

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0r2ellRA41mcE0zb0tlcVdoVFU

Cristo Rey Philadelphia High School

Hurston

Upload your letter here.