Oscar R. Florida

Pursuing college education

Students had decided not to go to college because college tuition has significantly increased over the past years.

The Honorable president 

1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President:

I write you this letter to inform you on my point and with hope that maybe you could be able to help me. I believe you are well aware of the problems that our country has and know more about them than I do. I just would like to give a voice to one of the problems that me, and many other high school students are about to face: cost of college tuition. I am very interested in getting a college education and be successful in life. In fact, I am confident that there are hundreds of students in my school that wish for the same thing.

College tuition has significantly increased over the past years; during 2014-2015 tuition increase was 3.7 percent at private colleges, and 2.9 percent at public universities. The prices set as of now are very high and there are many people in this country that cannot afford college, resulting in a debt that will take maybe 30 years to pay. This is why some students decide not to go to college and start working minimum wage at a young age.

My plan is to start at reducing the interest rate applied on student loans, provide more grants and scholarships, and require a college advisor meeting before graduating high school. My ultimate goal is to help students get a degree and help them become the very best version of themselves.

Thank you for considering this matter, 

Oscar Romero

Mourning Senior High School

Hoover Period #2

Honors Gov. Letters to the next president