Alexandra J. North Carolina

Suicide Epidemic

The issue of suicide and the abnormally high death rates.

Many suicide attempts go unreported or untreated. Surveys suggest that at least one million people in the U.S. each year engage in intentionally inflicted self-harm.

Females attempt suicide three times more often than males. As with suicide deaths, rates of attempted suicide vary considerably among demographic groups. While males are 4 times more likely than females to die by suicide, females attempt suicide 3 times as often as males. The ratio of suicide attempts to suicide death in youth is estimated to be about 25/1, compared to about 4/1 in the elderly.

Men make up over 79% of suicides while women are more likely to have suicidal thoughts.

Roughly about every 16 minutes or so someone commits suicide with a firearm and every 11 minutes three people attempt it.

With death rates like these how exactly do you plan on stopping it? You can’t. There is no physical and or logical way to stop the issue of suicide completely. But you can help it. How? Start actually trying to. I’ve never once heard anything from our current president about even remotely trying to help or try to stop this epidemic.

What exactly do you plan to do about it?

You can’t just up the dosage of prescribed medication and call it “good.”

Depression is caused by a lot of things and it’s not just being sad that causes it. Bottled up anger and even loneliness can drive someone to start having thoughts about suicide. Thoughts about suicide will eventually lead to depression, depression will then lead to death or attempted death.

It’s selfish to want to leave behind a world where whether you believe it or not people do care about you.

Ironic how that works, right? Being to scared to get close to anyone but hating being alone.

Anyway, one thing I think may work for people with depression and people thinking about suicide is that we could try getting to them early before it’s too late to turn back. I don’t know how it’ll work and please, don’t misinterpret me when I say that it’s never too late to help someone who may be depressed. So, which ever one of you two does end up becoming America’s next president, please try to do something about this epidemic.

But, if you are reading this, you’re stronger than you think you are. Just keep fighting, alright? I know it’s a hard battle to be fighting on the front line, but you can trust me when I say it’ll get easier.

Alex.

A) Robert Gebbia. "Suicide Statistics — AFSP." AFSP. Robert Gebbia, June-July 1987. Web. 26 Oct. 2016.

B) Christian Nordqvist. "Http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/234219.php."Medical News Today. MediLexicon International, 10 Sept. 2011. Web. 26 Oct. 2016.