Jackson S. Kentucky

Changes in Education

This letter to the president includes my ideas on changes in education such as testing/diagnostics, Common Core, and states having power to make decisions over education.

I hope you are a great president! Whoever you are, I hope that you improve education. I would like to see a change in the amount of tests that are given each school year. If you remove too many tests, that would not be good either because us students would be tested on a lot of core standards all at one time. I would like you to remove the diagnostics, which are basically tests that are given to see how much you already know in a particular standard. I do not think that the diagnostic part of the testing is necessary because it does not help me personally to score well on the actual standard.

I do not wish for Common Core to be removed from education. Think about this…if you were a student who moved to a different state and you could not follow what they were learning, how would that make you feel? Kids who move from state to state due to their parents switching jobs or even other situations would not benefit from Common Core being removed from education. It would be hard for them to pick up on what the other students are learning in other states.

I also think that only fifty percent of the power over education should be given to the states. If there is one hundred percent control over education by the states, that would mean that Common Core would only exist in select individual states and not throughout the entire country. States should not be given total power over education because there would be more gaps in learning and I think that parents would consider homeschooling or sending their kids to private schools over public schools.

I hope you are you a great president and I wish you the best of luck!

Jackson S.

NoeMiddle6Pacesetters

Pacesetters Block 1 Social Studies

Pacesetters Block 1 Social Studies