Abby K. Wisconsin

Letter to President

"Abortion has frequently taken center stage in American politics".

I think that abortion is a very important topic in the United States. I mean abortion has been going on for awhile and no one has really found an answer to it. Some people think that women are not entitled to end the life of an unborn child. Others believe that women have the right to decide what happens to their body. Personally, I think we should just respect the persons decision. Almost half of American women have terminated at least one pregnancy. Also, today approximately 90% of all abortions occur in the first 12 weeks. While some may also agree that abortion is a "part of life". 

What happens is so many people have different opinions on which side is right that it becomes a topic in almost every American election. Which is why it usually takes center stage in politics. "Abortion has become so politically explosive in the US in a significant part because we have an independently powerful supreme court, strong private medical professions, weak political party elites, and a political system where controversies can live on and issues can be raised again and again", said Drew Halfmann. The US Justices defined abortion as a privacy right and allowed abortion to any women that is pregnant. The people who disagreed with abortion reacted strongly and said that they were an "unelected elite".  

My opinion on abortion is that it isn't right. A human being is living inside of you and killing it is just wrong. It doesn't have the chance to live it's life. People are just choosing to end it because they don't want to take care of it. But I get it sometimes people are under age and don't have the financial support. It just seems wrong to me to not even give it a chance at life. I respect people's opinions about it and can understand, I just don't personally agree. It is the person's decision ultimately. But to me abortion is not just a "part of life". 

Abby Kent 

Kathy Gill. "Abortion Issues in the United States". About News, About Inc, November 2 2016, www.uspolitics.about.com 

Drew Halfmann. "Why Abortion Controverses Are So Central to US Politics". Scholars Strategy Network, April 2013, www.scholarsstrategynetwork.com 

Katha Pollitt. "Abortion in American History". The Atlantic, November 2 2016, www.theatlantic.com 

Craig High School - Ms. Tucker's English 9

5th Hour - Honors English 9

Craig High School