Diamond C. New York

Minorities in America: The Eternal Divide

The division between minorities in America have been a constant factor within the future of this country. Is it finally time for unity, security, equality and opportunity for all

I hope that you may be able mend the country, especially in regards to how minorities are viewed in society today. Minorities face massive discrimination due to the stereotypes that we are notorious for:  crime and social disorder. However, minorities, such as myself, with several cultural backgrounds, do not want to be categorized within these constructs of crime, and demand equality in all aspects of American life. There is a demand for a change in the separation that has been established between this country's ethnic identities, whether it be in the workforce, in our own government, and in our own streets.  Minorities constantly face different forms of discrimination, including the 12% - 15% wage gap between Caucasian men and Latino and African American men, and the 17% wage gap between Latino and African American women. 

This also extends to equality in the criminal justice system and law enforcement. In 2015 alone, 1,134 people have died at the hands of brutal law enforcement.  494 of these people were minorities, only including blacks and Latinos. I would like for you to ensure the future of my people, as well as the safety of my people and the equality of my people. We are all citizens of the United States of America and should be treated as such. The past is the past, but I would like for you to promise a better future for all.

Diamond Covington 

Repertory Company High School

Period 4

Letters to our Future President