Morgan D. California

LGBTQ Oppression

We need to stop the persecution of the LGBTQ community from the government and the people of this country.

Dear Mr./Mrs. President,

I would like to address the issue that is the oppression of the LGBTQ community. Yes, we may have the right to marry, but equality is still far off, and we are still persecuted. Many states are still putting up laws against the community, and many parents still punish and disown their children for being who they are. Many LGBTQ youths do not feel safe, and this is a large issue.

There are many examples of this close to me, me being one of them. My own father scares me into staying in the closet, and not coming out to him. One of my best friend’s mother won’t get him the proper treatment for being transgender, and makes him feel insecure about being himself. Another mother of a friend is skeptical of her being bisexual, and is in fact skeptical that bisexuals exist. I could go on and on with more examples, but you get the idea.

Not only is there oppression from parents and other people, there is oppression from the government. The House Bill 2 act in North Carolina is one prime example. This new law allows businesses to deny LGBTQ members service, and forces any transgendered person to use the bathroom according to their biological sex. There are even laws that allow judges to marry same-sex couples.

The main reason this segregation still exists is because it is against many religions, and people find it disgusting. According to the bible, it is a sin to eat shellfish, and I think shellfish is disgusting, but we aren’t outlawing shellfish, and we sure aren’t persecuting those who do eat shellfish.

This affects the LGBTQ community as many people in it feel unsafe, and are denied basic rights such as service in a store, and still, in some places, marriage. I, along with many others, believe that these absurd laws should be vetoed and repealed, and we could campaign more to get this to happen, and to further our progress to equality.

In conclusion, the oppression we face needs to stop, and we need to stop more of these laws from being approved so that we can finally be equal.

Respectfully,

Morgan Diamond

MCAA

MCAA B6

English 9 Block 6 students share their concerns with the next President of the United States