Holli S. Iowa

Suicide in Soldiers

This letter is about soldiers and the importance they have in the world, and how they need to be taken better care of.

My name is Holli Schoon. I’m a sophomore at Coon Rapids-Bayard, in Iowa. My whole class is doing this to try to get your attention. Some people have the same topic but they are all different reasons and they all have their own opinions. This topic is very important to me because I think people need to take action and make a difference. Soldiers that come back from war, and have no one, need to be taken care of first. Here is some reasoning why.

Eighty-six. Ages from 18-29 there are eighty-six deaths for men. For women it is 33 deaths per 100,000, and the civilian suicide rate is 14 deaths per 100,000. These deaths are happening because the people coming out of the battle are scarred for life. They have to live with what they saw, what they heard, what they went through, and many more. It's crazy to imagine going through something like that and coming out and having no one. Having no one to help you overcome the terrifying nights that they had and that they are dreaming about. They have recurring nightmares of that happened and if one of their friends died, they witnessed it. Most people don't know what it is like to lose a loved one. It's horrible. You have to live with the feeling of someone that you loved not being here anymore, living a day without them.

There are people out there that disrespect our flag, and other people who cherish it. The people who disrespect it is because I think they don't care that people fight for your freedom. That they don't really know what it's like to go fight in war, or be in any part of that. If they know anything about fighting it's only things that happen on video games. They only care about themselves or they truly don't know what it's like. They also may not know what is all going through those soldiers minds. Many people go out to fight for your freedom and you're going to thank them by stepping on their most pride and joy? How could someone have such a cold heart to do that? You are here in a free country and yet you decide to not thank the people who did that for you.

I think that the next president needs to punish people that think it is okay. Maybe put some respect into their lives. The people that walk in, then years later walk out. They walk out a completely different person. What they see in war can’t be described. It's brutal, it's harsh, and it's terrifying. If our soldiers come back with nowhere to be or no one to care for them, then they need help from the government, instead of the people that get government funds for being disabled. Think about the soldiers and what they go through. If someone can support them, then don't worry about it. But if they are on the streets and they can't afford food and other necessities, then I think that's when the government needs to step in and help. Every soldier deserves to be thanked and put in good care. Dead or alive.

I went to Washington, D.C this summer. We visited the name wall, with all the soldiers that either can't be found or died in action. There was this guy standing there that was telling his story. He told us how he served in our country and he returned. But when he did, he had no one. I felt so bad for him. He went out there and supported our country and he fought for our freedom, and that's how we repay him? I think our soldiers should get a lot more respect than that. Our government should definitely help support them.

Sincerely your writer,

Holli