jonathan c. Oklahoma

Solving the Real Problem

The lives of the people in Central America are getting worse everyday, and because of that they migrate here to live a better life, but the U.S government keeps sending them back. This is bad because the people never tried to do anything wrong and they just want to live like us. The only way to do something is to help these countries and make them stable so these people won't have to live in fear their whole lives.

I am writing this letter not just just because it is for a grade, but it gives me a chance to talk about something people don't really talk about, and that is to go out and help out the Central and South American countries. The people in Central and South America are suffering and there only choice is to risk their lives coming here to the United States. They migrate here but the government deports them, not caring what they had to do to get here just caring that they get out, and it's bad because these people don't ask for trouble, they're just trying to support their families. If their countries weren't in a bad state, do you think they would risk their lives to move up here? What I'm saying is to help these countries out if you really want to stop immigration. 

Central America is no stranger to violence. El Salvador and Honduras for example have a serious problem with international gangs. El Salvador has two big gangs, MS-13 and 18 st, and they are constantly fighting; it's like a civil war and because of this war between this gangs they put innocent people in danger. These people can't wake up every day without thinking if something bad is going to happen to them. This fear makes them want to relocate and thus they migrate to United States because they know they'll have a better life here. You can't send back people who feel like they are going to die at any moment. 

The unstable countries help drug cartels by recruiting desperate people and this is bad for the United States. According to U.S. Department of Justice, 60% of the cocaine smuggled into the U.S. was routed through Central America in 2010. That is more than half of the world. Do you think Pablo Escobar or El Chapo started their drug empires just because? No, they were poor and needed to provide their family with food. These drug cartels pay off government officials to prevent them from stopping the cartels. The countries are corrupt and the people ask for change but are being ignore how do you expect them to live there with violence everywhere and not move up here.      

The deaths in these countries are very sad. In 2009, the United Nations Development Program reported that the seven Central American countries registered the highest levels of non-political murders in the world, estimating that more than 79,000 people in the region died violent deaths between 2003 and 2008. This violence is ruining the countries and innocent people are dying. This a huge problem for the people and once again their best choice is to move here to the United States. This must stop.

The stuff happening in Central America may not look like it is affecting us, but it is. As the president you may not have the power to directly make a move but as president you may be able to convince the nation why this is a problem. There are plenty of other problems in the region and it is affecting us. I think that helping these countries is something to at least think about. 

East Central High School - Tulsa

AP Language and Composition (VII)

An amazing group of students focused on developing their voices through argumentative writing.