Charlotte N. California

Immigration Policies

The difficulty of legal immigration as well as the issues surrounding national security demand attention and change from the next President of the United States.

As the electoral process draws to a close, it is important to consider the numerous issues that exist within the currently implemented immigration policies. As of now, thousands of undocumented immigrants occupy this country, however it is not a matter that requires mass deportation, but an issue that requires a deeper look at the immigration process itself. In order to immigrate to America legally, one must first apply for a visa. Each country is only allowed to issue a limited number of visas, therefore there exists an excessive backlog which makes it practically impossible to apply without having immediate familial relations within the United States. I believe that these process needs to be reviewed because it forces legally abiding candidates to face waiting periods that can exceed sixteen years. In fact, for many immigrants, it has become an easier, simpler process to enter the country illegally under a relative's consideration and apply for a green card once the visa has been issued. This serves a clear example of why the current immigration system is not beneficial.

Although change is clearly required in terms of immigration to the United States, it is equally necessary that it is change in the right direction. It is clear that defining exclusivity within the legal application process has caused an increase in illegal immigration, therefore I believe that mass deportation and the application of heightened security against immigrants will further the illegal immigration crisis and present an extremely negative image of the United States to foreign countries. I believe that the best solution can be found through moderation. The legal process should be revised so as to allow more expedient entry by legal means for immigrants that will serve as beneficial and non threatening to society. Security should be heightened through practical means including, background checks, and perhaps follow up checks for a time after immigration to guarantee that new immigrants prove to be law abiding and secure.

The legal immigration process is not perfect; it requires immense review, but not complete overhaul. Mass deportation and maximum security will only cause an increase in the illegal immigration situation, but leaving the current policies unchanged will be equally detrimental. Looking forward, I ask that you consider changes to the immigration process that will continue to allow immigration into our country, but in a way that promotes application by legal means, while continuing to protect the security and status of our country.

Charlotte Nelson