Kelly K. California

Higher Education Affordability

The problems of unequal opportunities for students pursuing higher education in America.

Throughout many years, tremendous amounts of work and money have been put toward enhancing the standard of living for Americans. As a result, America achieved becoming one of the largest powers in the world. However, America, the great role model for countless countries, lacks affordable higher education for those who pursue knowledge. 

It is illogical and unjustifiable that students from a lower economic class are still not able to receive equal opportunities as students from a higher economic class. The average cost of tuition and fees for public colleges this year was $9,139. For many people, this is an unbelievable amount of money that puts heavy burdens on the shoulders of their entire family. According to Ray Franke, a professor at University of Massachusetts, college tuition has been increasing six percent above the rate of inflation. There is absolutely no reason why this should be occurring, and with effort of you and your talented reformers, this problem can surely be solved. Providing affordable colleges for students will be beneficial to all, because more talented individuals who can improve our country will be reaped. Although a drastic change can not occur right away, gradual reforms must be made as soon as possible. I genuinely hope that you will be able to succeed in bringing higher education for all American students. 

Kelly Koh