Vivian T.

Underage Drinking Problems

Kids start underage drinking at the age of thirteen. This is a problem that is happening world wide. Underage drinking can cause alcohol problems in their future.

Underage Drinking Problems by Vivian T

Dear Mr. President, 

Even though I am not near the age of voting, I do see the news either on my social media or from my friends. President-Elect Trump, I hope you will fix a lot of our little problems that can have big impacts. Kids start underage drinking at the age of thirteen. This is a problem that is happening world wide. Underage drinking can cause alcohol problems in their future.

I one of my cousin’s best friend is seventeen years old. He started drinking at the age of twelve, and he would continuously drink at parties and at friend’s houses. A couple years ago, he was driving home from a party and ran into another car at a red light. The ambulance rushed him to the hospital but couldn’t save him. They soon figured out that he had alcohol prior to driving. My cousin then went in a time of depression because one of his really close friends passed away. I see his once in a which and ask if he’s okay but inside I know he isn’t. Driving under the influence and underage drinking can affects both the consumer and their friends and family. Family members would be very disappoint if they find out something had happen because of drinking wine, beer, or alcohol. Getting caught drinking and driving can cause job losses, financial setback, family issues, and more.

58% of guys that underage drink start at the age of eleven. 47% of girls that underage drink tend to start at the age of thirteen. Underage drinking can lead up to alcohol problems later in life, violent behaviors, and sometimes alcohol poisoning. Teenage’ brains are still developing, but drinking alcohol can cause learning problems and brain damage. Car crashes lead to teen death. About 32% of those crashes involve underage drinking drivers.

Parents should have an in-depth conversation with their child of why underage drinking or drinking in general is a real problem for their future. If their child is at a party, parents can help supervise and make sure there are no alcohol around.

Mr. President, would you rather let alcohol be consumed by young teens and in their future have problems? Leaving them nothing but early alcohol addiction and damage to their young brains, or fix that problem and make bars or stores have background checks before letting the parent buy the alcohol. Its up to you to decide, take care of our future representatives and make America proud. 

Vivian To