Ayisha F. Florida

High Costs of Healthy Groceries Is Pressured Upon Low-incomes

The high costs of healthy food affects many communities, especially low income families.

I am resident of North Miami, FL, and I am writing because of the high costs of healthy food affecting my community, especially low income families.

Over the years, prices of healthy groceries have risen up, making it even harder to have a balance healthy diet. Fast food or junk food is way cheaper than healthy ones, which gives access to obesity and certain diseases. 

Over the years, prices of healthy groceries have risen up, making it even harder to have a balance healthy diet. Prices for fresh fruits and vegetables has increase 1 to 1.5 percent. Fast food or junk food is way cheaper than healthy ones, which gives access to obesity and certain diseases. 1 in 4 children in Florida is overweight or obese, consequently, more money are taken out of parent's pocket for unhealthy food that's ruining the child's health. 

Although some of Miami-Dade County organizations try to resolve this predicament, there's an awful amount cases of children's malnutrition. For instance, I know a child that's only 8 and a half years old that weighs 100+ pounds. The child's mother tries to help her in any way she can help, but she has two more mouths to feed in her low-income state.  She can't keep affording food such as fruits that doesn't have lots of portion to it and with high prices. And many more families suffer from this, leading some to go to the hospital very often. I wonder what the outcome would be if the prices for healthy and unhealthy food were vice versa.

Specifically, I am writing to ask you to consider this manner and improve the cost range of healthier food. With this consideration, this may dramatically improve and influence health & less illness, not only in my community, but in other states too. 

Thank you for your time and considering this matter.                                                                                                    Sincerely,

Ayisha Francois

Mourning Senior High School

Hoover Period #4

Honors Gov Letters to the next President