Charlie California

Keep Theology Away From Biology

Every woman should have the constitutional right to make decisions about her own body.

I am pro-choice when it comes to the social issue of abortion, as are many other people in America, and especially California, where I live. I believe that if a woman feels the need to have an abortion, she has the constitutional right to do so. There are many reasons why a woman would feel the need to get an abortion. For example, women who get raped do not want to give birth to the baby of their rapist. Also, women who accidentally get pregnant and are in no position to care for a child should not be forced to. These are critical reasons why abortions should not be restricted. As for the teen demographic, 19 % of teens who have had sexual intercourse become pregnant each year, 78% of which were unplanned.

Obviously, I am more on the progressive side of this topic because women in the United States need to have rights over their own bodies. When did the United States Government start to think that it was their business to interfere with the choices a woman makes about her pregnancy? To me, and a majority of American women and men, personal freedom is more important than traditional moral rules. In the third and final presidential debate of the 2016 election, democratic nominee Hillary Clinton said, “I will defend Roe v. Wade, and I will defend women’s rights to make their own healthcare decisions. We have come too far to have that turn back now.”

The right to have an abortion is also critical in today’s social issue of gender equality. So, abortion ties into itself, and also making men’s and women’s rights equal. Why should any American woman be discriminated against for something she has absolutely no control over? Do men get discriminated against and have strict laws set against them for something they have no control over?

So, please, I and many others are asking for your help on this very sensitive issue. You are the leader of this country and we can give women the rights they deserve with your help. America’s laws must change as the times change, and it’s in your hands. Give women the same rights as men. Make America the free country that gives everybody unalienable rights as it portrays itself to be; don't let the American people look down upon women who need to get an abortion. 

Kind Regards,

Charlie