JoJo L.

Domestic violence is a serious issue in America

There should be more programs for domestic violence to turn to and where they can heal from there problems. There's not enough programs for them to go to and most have to work through it by theme self. There is a lot of victims in the domestic violence in the U.S alone.

Dear Mr. President,

Domestic violences is a serious issue, there’s thousands of victims just in the united states alone. 1 out of every 3 women and 1 out of 4 men are victims of domestic violence. There needs to be more programs for domestic violence victims. Or a source for them to go to. Also, there needs to be program for the children whose parents are victims of domestic violence. Boys whose mom is a victim of domestic violence grow up thinking women are not valued or respected. The girls who’ve seen their mom abused by their father grow up thinking they will be abused by their husbands.

I myself have never been affected by domestic violence, neither have my parents. But my coaches daughter was a victim of domestic violence. She was only a junior in highschool and was dating a guy on the varsity football team he unfortunately did not treat her right. This was a very hard period of her life. But the only people she could turn to was her mom and dad. She had nowhere to go to. There was no support places for her to turn to. Years later she recovered just fine, and now does speeches about domestic violence.

Many people just think that domestic is abuse by their spouse or partner. But it’s more than just physical abuse, there’s also mental and sexual abuse. For those who go through the mental abuse they are always being put down by their partner and they have very low self esteem and are no longer confident in themself. There is no way for them to gain their self confidence if there’s nowhere for them to turn to. They go the rest of their life thinking they’re unwanted and that they have no meaning.

I read online that other people think “ why can’t they just leave their spouse”. What people don’t understand is that they are usually threatened that if they something bad will happen or they’ll do something bad to them. Often if they have children they will use child custody to threaten them. For example, if the spouse (victim) tries to leave other spouse (abuser) will tell them that if they run away they will never get to see the children.

As you can see we need to have more support systems for domestic violence. The victims of domestic violence go through depression. They have nowhere to turn to other than other family which sometimes can be uncomfortable. This is why there should be more programs for the victims.

JoJo Lampinen