Tom J. Florida

Mental Health Awareness

This letter asks the next president to promote the importance of raising awareness and increasing knowledge of mental health on a national stage.

The White House

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW

Washington, DC 20500

I am concerned about the overall lack of knowledge and awareness of mental health issues in America’s youth. I am a student at a Miami public high school; from my perspective, there is a minimal understanding of mental health amongst my peers. I believe mental health awareness programs should be implemented into public high schools because a better understanding of mental health is critical and potentially life saving. Although these programs mostly happen at a local level, I hope that your administration can promote the importance of raising awareness and increasing knowledge of mental health on a national stage.

Many teenagers suffer from depression and anxiety. Plus, suicide is still a serious epidemic for teens in America. Unfortunately, these issues are stigmatized, which make them difficult to discuss. At a local level, mental health awareness programs in high schools will help create a dialogue about these issues. Furthermore, I hope that your future administration can continuously convey the importance of understanding and acknowledging mental health issues. I think that these efforts can make a substantial difference. 

Thank you for reading my letter.

Tom Jaworski

Mourning Senior High School

Hoover Period #5

Honors Gov letters to the next President