Josie M. Michigan

Dear Madame or Sir,

I would like to address the immense issue of illegal immigration in the United States, and the growing number of problems it creates. I will be addressing many issues in this letter such as children of immigrants, the right to come into America, and finally the effect on our economy are the issues I will be addressing in this letter. When my country has over 9 million undocumented people living in it I can’t help but wonder, what are the problems these people are creating for themselves, and for the citizens of the United States. I am going to help propose solutions to these issues.

In terms of children of undocumented immigrants, what should we do? Do we send them with their parents? Keep them in foster homes? The children of illegal immigrants is one of the most controversial issues we face against illegal immigration. It is estimated that there are 5.1 million children under 18 that have at least one parent that is undocumented living in the United States, 79% of these children are U.S. citizens. Children who have undocumented parents are far more likely to live in poverty. But, what do we do with these children if we send their parent(s) back? More than likely it was not their doing to bring them into the U.S. so I believe that they should be sent back with their parents if they are under 16, the constitution states that if a child is born in the U.S. then they are citizens, but if they are not citizens they can be sent out of the country unless they have a green card. Speaking of coming into America, what gives their parents the right to come into the country illegally?

The United States is a country that many come in order to find jobs, visit family, or come to find refuge from their home countries. So why are there illegal immigrants? It’s simple, the U.S. immigration system has many limitations and many immigrants do not have the necessary job or family rights that others do. But this does not answer my question of their right to come in illegally. Luckily my own views can answer this, if you do not have a good reason to come into America legally, then it’s probably not the place where you should start a family, it’s just that simple. Many immigrants believe that they will find work and be able to support their families for generations, but the truth of the matter is that they will only find a job if a U.S. employer asks for foreign workers. So, no I do not believe that it is their right to come into the United States, unless they have a good enough reason that even the government agrees with. With so many illegal immigrants coming, what are they doing to our communities and our economy?

Illegal immigration, with so many people coming in, what are they doing to our economy, and how can we fix it if it is negative? An estimated $113 billion dollars is how much illegal immigration costs at the federal, state, and local level of tax payers. However, if we were to have a massive deportation it would have an economic drop of $250 billion dollars every year. So, it’s costing us a lot to pay for them but it would be even worse if we got rid of them all at once. My solution is to depart a few thousand every year so it’s not costing us billions of dollars. Along with smaller deportations we can increase border patrol and create more jobs. I don’t want illegal people wasting my parents money when we can use it for our needs. Our country belongs to us and we need to get rid of those who are creating deeper holes in our pockets.

In conclusion, I believe that illegal immigration is a troubling problem that needs a solution and fast.

Illegal immigration is costing us money, filling up our schools, and taking our jobs, if we can get rid of the people that are causing these problems than our country will be better in many ways. Thank you for reading my views on illegal immigration.

Josie Morrow 

Ithaca Junior High School

Social Studies 8 - 4th Hour

This site is for students in 8th Grade Social Studies at Ithaca Junior High, specifically 4th Hour.