Taylor D. Wisconsin

Animal Cruelty

Animal abuse is a big part of the U.S. today. We need to do something to stop it.

Now that you have been elected, I and most likely many other people in the world are hoping that you could do something about animal cruelty. Over 15 million animals such as mice, dogs, cats, rabbits, monkeys, birds, etc. are killed in laboratory experiments. The HSUS estimates that around 1 million animals are abused or killed within one year. When people sell their animals or pets are they really going to safe homes?

The first reason I think we should do something about animal abuse is because animals are basically humans in another form. They have feelings and are living creatures so they should not be treated any differently than you would treat a human. Surveys suggest that those who intentionally abuse animals are most likely men under 30 years old. Somehow we should be able to prevent this from happening. An idea to keep animals safe is to only let people have animals for a certain amount of time and when that time is up they go in for an appointment and have the doctors determine if the animal is in good enough shape for you to keep it or not. Another idea is to just have some sort of punishment for people who abuse their animals or allow others to do it.

Another reason I think animal cruelty is something to look into is because animals are getting hurt because of things they have like their fur. Yes, we do need fur for certain things but their should be another way to get it. More than 50% of fur in the U.S. comes from China. Millions of dogs and cats are bled to death and skinned alive for their fur. This may not mean anything to you, but if you have an animal at home and one day someone took it away and killed it for its fur, wouldn’t you be a little upset? Many of these animals aren’t domestic animals but some are and you just have to think about how much these animals mean to people.

The last reason I think that animal abuse should be stopped is because if people want to move their businesses or companies somewhere we want them to move to the U.S..

70.1% of animal cruelty involves dogs, 20.9% of cruelty involves cats, and 24.1% involves other animals. People probably are not going to want to start a business here if they know their animals are not going to safe homes. Yes, some animals do get brought to great homes but many other animals do not.

Animal abuse is a serious problem that affects many animal and human lives. When animals are brought home they want to be brought to a safe and friendly home. I hope that this problem gets fixed or at least somewhat resolved because of all the bad things that have happened to these animals. 

Taylor D.